Gleaner Combine Collection
The Gleaner Manufacturing Company opened a plant on South Cottage Street in Independence, Missouri in 1925. It was a major employer in Independence through the 1950s. Gleaner Manufacturing was acquired by Allis-Chalmers in 1955, helping the company expand their farm equipment business and to lead the way in self-propelled machines and combines. The company was sold to Deutz AG or Deutz-Allis in the 1980s. In 1991, the company name changed to AGCO, but the company still continued to produce the Gleaner brand. The plant in Independence was operated until 2000 when operations were moved to a more modern plant in Hesston, Kansas.
This collection is digital only. Digital images were donated to the Midwest Genealogy Center.
Midwest Genealogy Center, Mid-Continent Public Library, Independence, Missouri